Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Monday, November 26, 2007

Tender Potato Bread

This month was Round 2 for me of the Daring Bakers challenge, in which over 300 food bloggers prepare the same elaborate recipe and post about it on the same day. This month, our chosen baked good was savory, not sweet: a Tender Potato Bread with mashed potatoes mixed right into the dough. I decided to make this as my contribution to my family's Thanksgiving dinner (fortunately my Mom took care of a good bit of the rest).


Before setting out to bake this delicious bread, I perused the Daring Bakers internal blog to see if anyone had any tips or suggestions. Fortunately, in this manner I was warned that the dough was incredibly sticky due to the mashed potatoes. In fact, sticky would be an understatement. While I was kneading the dough, I had to get my Mom to gradually add in the flour for me, since my hands were literally stuck to the ball of mush. It didn't take too much flour to wrangle it into control, though, and even though it was incredibly soft (I didn't want to add
too much flour for fear of making the bread tough) I decided to shape it into rolls to go with Thanksgiving dinner. Well, the dough was so soft that it couldn't hold the roll shape. When I put the balls of dough onto the baking sheet, they just flattened out into one big...sheet of bread. It was odd. But when I tore it apart into pieces to put into the bread basket and carried the hot-from-the-oven mini-loaves to the table, no one was complaining. The bread had a nice crusty top and was chewy and moist on the inside. Definitely well worth the effort.


To see hundreds of other takes on this Tender Potato Bread, formed into all sorts of shapes and topped with yummy extras, cruise on over to the Daring Bakers blog roll starting today. If you're feeling particularly daring, check out the recipe over at My Kitchen in Half Cups, whose creator, Tanna, selected this tasty treat. (Don't let the recipe's length scare you; it just contains a lot of variations.)

Labels: , , , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Gigi said...

ooooh! just lovely. i agree the dough was super sticky. your bread turned out great.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That challenge was really something ! Your bread looks great !

4:38 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Sounds like the potato dough was definitely a challenge! I love the look of your flat bread pieces, though.

6:02 AM  
Blogger breadchick said...

Great job on this month's challenge. I love the little "flat" rolls.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Bev and Ollie "O" said...

oooh yummy looking rolls!

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was really surprised too about the dough texture and had to call in for backup to add more flour. Yours look wonderful!

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look great! How much flour did you end up using?

4:32 PM  
Blogger slush said...

What a great bread to go with thanksgiving dinner. It was sticky indeed. You did a great job!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Your flat bread looks great. The dough was extremely soft as oh so sticky. What a great addition to your Thanksgiving table. Wendy

11:38 PM  
Blogger Peabody said...

Lucky that you had your mom to throw in the flour...I would have liked some help.
Great job on your bread.

2:36 AM  
Blogger Dharm said...

Your bread looks just fine! I think we both needed to add in a little bit more flour though... :) But as long as it tasted great, that's what counts!

2:59 AM  
Blogger KayKat said...

So sticky! So good! I love the flat bread.

3:13 AM  
Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wonderful looking! Well done!

Cheers,

Rosa

7:52 AM  
Blogger April said...

Looks great!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Looks great! Well done.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

It looks wonderful. A great idea to just tear it into pieces.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Jen Yu said...

Well, they look great! I had a lot of trouble judging how much flour was "too much" to add. That uncertainty played havoc with my OCD self ;) Good job!!

-jen at use real butter

2:44 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

Great job on the challenge! It's like you made individual focaccia...very cute!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Yeah, sticky like thick porridge. For some reason, it worked the second time I tried it.

Kudos for making it on Thanksgiving Day and I'm glad everyone enjoyed it! Great job.

Christina ~ She Runs, She Eats

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for moms! Your bread looks delicious - I'm glad everyone enjoyed it!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Gretchen Noelle said...

It is true this dough had a mind of its own! How wonderful that you could share you potato bread at Thanksgiving Dinner!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Your mini loaves look darling and delicious! Good thing your mom was there to help add flour to your dough--I had to do acrobatics to add mine! =)

3:57 PM  
Blogger Sheltie Girl said...

Great job on your bread. I'm glad your Mom was there to help you out.

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

9:02 AM  
Blogger Dolores said...

The image of 'breaking bread' with family and friends for the Thanksgiving holiday is a powerful one! I'm glad your family enjoyed the rolls.

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home